RSVP on Facebook!
Sheriff Baca wants to spend $1.4 billion on jail expansion in LA County, but the Supervisors are already balking because of grassroots opposition!
WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE
LA has the largest jail system in the country, and its conditions amount to torture. Building more cells will only expand the problem at a time when we need education, housing and jobs.
Baca’s construction plan includes:
- using $100 million of state money for jail construction
- $1 billion in bond funding
- covering remaining costs from the County’s Capital/Refurbishment funds
$100 million is 1% of LA’s law enforcement budget. What else could that be used for, instead of cages?
- 500 full-time community intervention/peace workers in schools and communities
- 50 comprehensive youth centers in areas of the county with the highest imprisonment rates
- At least 25,000 jobs for youth returning home from lock-up
See the Youth Justice Coalition’s Welcome Home LA plan for more info!
Join us in the fight to save LA County
Baca’s plan includes spending $5.7 million of taxpayer dollars on a firm that will make recommendations on how to relieve overcrowding in the jails and whether it would be less costly to close some and build new ones.
We don’t need another million dollar report to tell us what we already know: the most cost-effective way to reduce overcrowding to have less people in jail.
AB 900 is the world’s largest prison construction plan, authorizing $7.7 billion of taxpayer dollars for prison and jail construction. It was passed in the dead of night with no public review in 2007.
Say NO to jail expansion in LA County and NO to jail expansion throughout California!