On Tuesday, April 26th three bills (details below) that Californians United for a Responsible Budget (CURB) has taken a position on will be heard in the Assembly Public Safety Committee. Our elected leaders need to hear what WE want in order to move these important criminal justice bills in the right direction!!!
Please take a few minutes before Tuesday 4/26 to:
1) Have you and others in your organization call Tom Ammiano, Chair of Assembly Public Safety Committee and ask him to oppose AB 996 and to support AB 877 and AB1081!
2) If you live in the District of other target committee members, call them too!
3) Forward the e-mail below to your members and allies!
- AB 996 (Donnelly) OPPOSE – This bill would significantly contribute to this mass incarceration by doubling fines and sentences for a defendant who is “. . . a member of, or affiliated with, or associated with a criminal street gang or drug cartel . . .” at the time the crime was committed.
- AB 877 – (Skinner) SUPPORT – Relieves barriers to reentry, current law allows for the dismissal of any non felony violations of the California Vehicle Code for people who serve time at CDCR or YA. AB 877 would extend eligibility for this relief to people sentenced to six months or more in county jail.
- AB 1081 – (Ammiano) SUPPORT – This bill honors local governments’ right to opt out of the so-called “Secure Communities” Program (S-Comm), a controversial Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) program that automatically shares with ICE all fingerprints taken by law enforcement.
Here is a list of the target legislators (if your representative is not listed call Tom Ammiano, Committee Chair)
Tom Ammiano – D13 – (916) 319-2013 [Parts of San Francisco]
Steve Knight – R36 – (916) 319-2036 [Acton, Adelanto, Hesperia, Lancaster, Palmdale, Victorville]
Gilbert Cedillo – D45 – (916) 319-2045 [Parts of Los Angeles]
Curt Hagman – R60 – (916) 319-2060 [Anaheim, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar, Industry, La Habra , La Habra Heights, La Mirada, Orange, San Dimas, Villa Park, Walnut, Whittier, Yorba Linda]
Jerry Hill – D19 – (916) 319-2019 [Belmont, Brisbane, Burlingame, Daly City, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, Millbrae, Pacifica, San Bruno, San Mateo, and South San Francisco]
Holly Mitchell – D47- (916) 319-2047 [Parts of Los Angeles, Culver City]
Nancy Skinner – D14 – (916) 319-2014 [Alameda and Contra Costa County]
“Hi, my name is (YOUR NAME) and I live at (ADDRESS). I am calling to leave an important message for (LEGISLATOR’S NAME). I am urging (him/her) to stand up to oppose AB 996, and support AB 877 and AB 1081 in Tuesday’s public safety committee hearing.